Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Social Justice
We understand that equity, inclusion, and social justice require ongoing work; it’s a journey rather than an end goal. The University College will continue to take steps to support and advance these values in sustainable ways.
The University College reaffirms its commitment to achieving the following goals.
Prioritize inclusive education and student success by:
- Developing an environment that is respectful, supportive, and all-embracing of the many intersecting identities in the university community.
- Removing barriers to recruitment, retention, and overall success for students who are disabled, first-generation, immigrant, migrant, military, and/or minoritized.
- Curating a curriculum that is inclusive, accessible, relevant, and compliant.
Incorporate diversity and equity into our hiring practices by:
- Recognizing the barriers that have systematically marginalized and excluded people and communities based on race, ethnicity, gender, sexual identity, socioeconomic background, age, disability, national origin, and religion.
- Holding ourselves accountable to incorporating diversity and equity in our recruitment, hiring, and retention of students, staff, and faculty whose backgrounds reflect those of our communities.
- Being mindful of the need for cultural agility in the ever-changing landscape of higher education and embracing intersectionality and respect in our community.
Create a thriving university climate by:
- Affirming and protecting the dignity and rights of all people.
- Embracing cultural humility, compassion, empathy, and respect for our fellow humans.
- Continually developing spaces where ideas and viewpoints are welcomed and shared.