Registration Overload Policy
Students should complete an average of 15 credits each Fall and Spring semester to complete a bachelor's degree in four academic years. Enrollment in more than 18 credit hours in a Fall or Spring semester requires advance approval, which can be requested through an Academic Petition.
Enrollment in the Summer semester is optional; the maximum load for an undergraduate student enrolled in the Summer semester is seven credit hours per half term for a total of 14 credit hours. Enrollment in more than seven credit hours in a Summer half-term or 14 credit hours in a Summer semester requires advance approval, which can be requested through an Academic Petition.
For a student to be eligible to receive permission for a registration overload:
- An academic petition must be received (not submitted) by the add/drop deadline of the semester in which the course is taken
- Overall GPA 2.5
- Previous semester GPA 2.5
- Summer Limit: 2 credits per half semester (students currently register for up to 7 per half semester)
- Fall & Spring Limit: 1 credit
Click here for more information about the Course Load Policy.
Before submitting an Academic Petition, students should consider the following:
- What courses am I currently registered for, and what course do I want to add?
- Have I maintained an overall GPA of 3.0 or higher?
- Have I discussed adding more than 18 credits to a semester with my Academic Advisor? What is my Academic Advisor's recommendation?