Transient Study Policy
What is Transient Study?
- Students who want to take courses at another institution (College/University and would like to transfer the course(s) back to UNC Charlotte may make this request through a process called Transient Study.
- Transient study typically happens during the summer but can also occur during the fall and spring semesters.
- Charlotte is considered the "home" institution, and the other institutions are considered the "host" institution.
University College students considering or planning to take courses at another institution should review the following transient study policy, which outlines the process for submitting a transient study form.
Important Note: The University is not obligated to accept any credit from another institution unless the student has obtained the prior approval of the dean of the college in which they are enrolled.
Transfer Credits Earned Through Transient Study
- Courses at other institutions cannot be used to Grade Replace courses attempted at UNC Charlotte via transient study.
- Courses at other institutions cannot be transferred to UNC Charlotte if the student has received a letter grade higher than an F for the course at UNC Charlotte.
- Courses at other institutions can be transferred to UNC Charlotte if the student has received a W grade for the course at UNC Charlotte. Important Note: Speak with your advisor regarding the Attempt Policy.
- Grades from courses taken at other institutions cannot be used to calculate into the student's UNC Charlotte GPAs. Important Note: Speak with your advisor regarding GPA declaration requirements for certain majors.
- No credit for undergraduate students will be accepted for courses below a C.
- UNC Charlotte accepts a maximum of 64 credits from two-year institutions.
How To Request Approval to Transfer Course(s)
- Complete and submit the Transient Study request through an Academic Petition.
- Students must submit the request before paying for any courses at other institutions. This is to ensure that the courses will transfer back to Charlotte.
Submitting Academic Transcripts
- It is the student’s responsibility to submit an official academic transcript to Niner Central at UNC Charlotte after the course is completed and a final grade has been issued.
- For spring courses - submit Transient Study Form to Academic Advisor no later than November 30.
- For summer courses - submit Transient Study Form to Academic Advisor no later than April 30.
- For fall courses - submit Transient Study Form to Academic Advisor no later than June 30.
- For additional information or requests for financial aid, click here.
- Academic Policies and Procedures regarding Transient Study can be found by clicking here.